The importance of testing metal roofs cannot be understated. Everyone wants to know that their roof can handle high winds, torrential rain, and heavy snow. Without testing, it would be difficult for homeowners to gain peace of mind. Testing puts accountability in the hands of the manufacturer, eliminating untrustworthy manufacturers from selling low-quality materials.
What are some of the testing standards?
- Fire: Classifications are determined by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).
- Testing: UL 790 and ASTM E-108
- Class A- This class is expected to be effective against severe fire exposure. *
- Class B- This class is expected to be effective against moderate fire exposure. *
- Class C- This class is expected to be effective against light fire exposure. *
- Water Penetration: One tests water penetration under uniform positive static air pressure difference and stimulates wind-driven rain imposed on side laps and rain that is free to drain while building a water head as it flows and the other tests water penetration of a metal roof panel systems by static water pressure head.
- Testing: ASTM E1646 and ASTM E2140
- These are pass/fail testings
- Wind Testing: The wind testings test different types of wind patterns and the
- Testing: UL 580, UL 1897, FM 4471, ASTM E-1592
- Hail Testing- tests metal panels’ resistance to hail and other items that comes in contact with
- Testing: UL 2218
- This test is measured by classes.
Who performs these tests?
Underwriter Laboratories (UL), FM Approvals, and ASTM International provide majority of the testing standards.
How to know if the roofing system has gone through testing?
Please consult Roofing Technical Services for more information.
Sentrigard Metal Roof Systems
Sentrigard panel assemblies have been through rigorous testing to ensure optimum performance in a wide range of conditions, including the tough High-Velocity Hurricane Zone (HVHZ) performance criteria. The HVHZ certification is composed of two tests, both for wind uplift and air and water infiltration. Sentrigard Metal Roofing Systems have identified the state of Florida’s test protocols as the most proactive and stringent testing requirements for structural and non-structural (architectural) metal roofing systems. Sentrigard Panel Assemblies are tested in accordance with the following Florida Test Application Standards (TAS): TAS 100-95 – Test Procedure for Wind and Wind Driven Rain of Discontinuous Roof Systems; TAS 125-03 – Standard Requirements for Metal Roofing Systems. Panel profiles that have passed both test protocols are by law approved for use in High-Velocity Hurricane Zones. Sentrigard Metal Roofing Systems Association is Miami-Dade County Product Control Approved. You can be confident with Sentrigard systems because of our testing, and we further back our commitment with our exceptional Sentrigard Weather Tight warranty program.
*According to UL Standard Test Methods for Fire Tests of Roof Coverings.